Monday, April 05, 2004

Right wingers against the war

I rarely drive much these days, as I live so close to work. But last Thursday evening I was driving for about five minutes. Feeling in need of some conversation, I flipped on the radio, and the only thing I could find apart from ads was Michael Savage, with his insane right-wing program. I found myself listening, just for the hell of it.

The call I heard went something like this.

Caller: Hey, Mike, I've been listening to you a long time. And what I want to say first is, the second amendment is the foundation of this country. I know you've heard this before, but I am not going to let anybody take my gun away from me until they pry it from my cold, dead hands. I mean that. (Continuation of rant on guns for another 30 seconds, using even more hardcore language.)

Savage: Yeah, yeah, OK. But that's not really what you wanted to talk about, is it? Let's get to what you really wanted to say.

Caller: (Long rant against the invasion of Iraq. Conclusion:) The government lied about the weapons of mass destruction, and they lied saying that Al Qaeda had anything to do with Iraq.

Savage: So what you're telling me is, Saddam was a peace-loving man who posed no danger to anybody.

Caller: Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not saying that. But that's not why we invaded Iraq, to get rid of a dictator....

And that's about all I heard. But just for the record, even some crazy gun nuts are against the war, and they're calling the right-wing talk shows about it. And in this case at least, the talk show host has no answer at all except to attack straw men.

It made my day.

No comments: